The evolution of girl gamers
Boy gamers are so self-centered they act as though women haven’t been playing video games for decades, and then act horrified when the female gamers who have always been there actually become visible and vocal about the rampant misogyny that has infected the gaming world.
Like seriously, how entitled do you have to be that women saying “it sure would be nice if I wasn’t treated like shit while enjoying the games I play” translates to “I must be catered to” when video games have LITERALLY been catered to men for decades?
- 1993 - 64% of girls reported playing video games
- 1996 - "home use had increased for fourth grade girls"
- 1998 - "both male and female adolescents play video games on a regular basis."
- 1999 - "88% of the female college students … surveyed were video game players."
- 2007 - 20-47% of adolescent girls play video games
- 2008 - "94% of girls play video games"
- 2010 - "Forty percent of all game players are women."
- 2012 - "Women 18 or older represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger"
- 2013 -"adult women are nearly half of all video game players"
I didn’t get all the dates, but I think you can get the point.
Also considered posting my own personal gaming history, but I would’ve had to go back to the 80s for that. e_e
Been playing since I was old enough to hold the NES controller.
lol i’ve been playing games since the ti-99/4. cry moar about having to acknowledge your walled community has never actually existed, you sucky babies
- 1 week ago
- 1 week ago
This relationship? I mean if you’re into being sold to a man who’s abusive and rapes you but eventually learns to love you, then yes. This relationship.
“Drogo leads Daenerys off to consummate the marriage. A thirteen-year-old girl who had been abused by her brother for most of her life and had been given no say in the marriage, Daenerys is terrified of her bridegroom and expects to be raped. Despite his fierce reputation, however, Drogo proves to be a surprisingly considerate lover. Although he and Dany share no common language, he establishes that he understood the word “no,” then begins touching her gently. He does not begin to have intercourse with her until Dany expresses her consent and initiates it. This tender wedding night set the tone for their marriage, which becomes a remarkably happy one.”
I haven’t gotten into Game of Thrones, but I hear this is one of the differences from the Television show and Novels that some people got annoyed/mad about.
I haven’t read the books (yet) but even I’m pissed off about that difference.
It is indeed one we are furious about
Drogo in Game of Thrones: Scary brown guy
Drogo in Song of Ice and Fire: Intelligent loving husband
This is why I found it so hard to love the show
(via socialistexan)Source: withfireandblood
- 1 week ago
- 2 weeks ago